Friday, February 4, 2011

Sweet Grannie

Most of you know by now that my Grandmother has passed away. (Her obit for those that might want to see )She died just before 2 am on 2.1.2011 and she didn't make it easy for any of us! My parents and Uncle left for Odessa as soon as they got the call from the Hospice nurse that she wouldn't make it through the night. They only got to Abilene Monday night and have been stuck there until today. Matt and I tried to drive out yesterday, we made it all the way to Winters, Texas but it was just too dangerous. The streets became solid ice with no tracks. Cars were sliding off the road, so we turned around and came home. My sister's plan was to fly out this afternoon, so I got a plane ticket for the same flight, but of course this morning the flights were canceled.

We have tried everything. It just isn't going to be in the cards. My best friend told me that there must be a reason, it's God's plan. My reply was that I felt the same way, but I can't help but feel resentful...why would he not want us to say our final goodbye? She told me that is was ok to feel resentful. God is big enough to take whatever I'm feeling. She's right. It's ok for me to feel mad, sad, resentful, hurt...He will open arms for me no matter how i feel.

The picture below is all I have of my Grandmother at her 82nd birthday party we had for her in June 2010. I am so glad we made that trip. That is the last time I saw her. I will cherish that weekend forever.

My husbands co-worker as him what he thought my Grandmother's first words were when she got to Heaven. Matt replied, she said "Hi Darlin'!" I know she did. She saw Jesus and Grampie at the Pearly Gates and that is exactly what she said...

I love you so much Grannie. I am so sorry I can't say goodbye to you in person, but I know you understand. You will be greatly missed.


1 comment:

*Valerie* said...

My heart morns for you and I have tears in my eyes as I reminisce of my Nana's last days on earth. I love your spirit, God is BIG enough and I am so thankful that you too believe in the same loving, forgiving God as I do! Peace be with your Grannie!! And I am glad that you did get to go in the end! All was right!